First United Methodist Church
History & Heritage:
Oldest Methodist Church in Northern Illinois:
In 1829 the first regularly appointed Methodist minister arrived in Galena. By 1832 a plain frame church was erected on Bench Street, but was lost to fire in 1838. A new building was built in 1841, and by 1856 the congregation had grown so that yet another new brick and stone church needed to be built. The present church was dedicated in 1857.
Ulysses S. Grant worshiped here regularly from 1859 to 1861.
Twelve (12) Historic Stained Glass Windows:
When the new church was built in 1856, members of the congregation donated several of the 12 stained glass windows outlining the church.
Between 1984 and 1987, the fellowship committed to restore ten of the windows. The final two were restored in 1991.
|1880's Moline Pipe Organ:
Behind the alter you will find the 18-rank, 1880's Pipe Organ. In 1959 the organ was totally rebuilt and once again in 1999, the organ underwent major restoration.
(Click on photo to enlarge.)
Click Here For More History
Return to Home Page